Do you also wonder if it is possible to lose weight while breastfeeding? In this article you will discover some tips that will help you lose weight in a healthy way.
After having a baby, many mothers worry about the pounds accumulated during pregnancy. They want to go on a diet to get their figure back, but they are also afraid that losing weight while breastfeeding could be harmful to their baby.
Do you also wonder if it is possible to lose weight while breastfeeding? The short answer would be yes, and besides, with a bit of luck you may not even have to diet. Surely you have heard some woman around you say that she lost weight just by breastfeeding her baby.
Well, this happens very frequently, since it is estimated that a woman who breastfeeds her child can burn about 550 calories a day just producing milk. This is like doing an hour of aerobics. In addition, the body of a lactating mother extracts milk fat from the deposits accumulated during pregnancy (especially in the hips and waist).
FACTORS THAT PREVENT YOU FROM LOSING WEIGHT WHILE BREASTFEEDING
Be careful, it can also happen that during breastfeeding you not only do not lose weight, but you gain it. It is also normal. The production of milk makes you hungry, because many calories are spent. To this we must add fatigue, which can make you try to compensate for the loss of energy with sugars or very caloric foods.
Hormones also greatly influence weight gain during lactation. There is usually a deficiency of estrogen, which causes the metabolism to slow down and fluid retention to occur .
If this is your case, it is best not to get obsessed, because sooner or later you will end up returning to the weight you had before getting pregnant. However, there is nothing wrong with going on a diet, but a balanced diet , which allows you to lose weight gradually without affecting your baby’s nutrition. Check out our parenting site for more and great ideas for your new born.
TIPS TO LOSE WEIGHT WHILE BREASTFEEDING
You should know that low-calorie and high-protein diets are discouraged by nutritionists when you are breastfeeding. Therefore, to lose weight while breastfeeding, it is best to follow the recommendations of specialists:
- Wait at least two months after giving birth to go on a diet.
- Eat five times a day so you don’t have to snack all the time.
- Eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, vegetables and legumes.
- Include fish in the diet (grilled or baked), complex carbohydrates, skimmed dairy products and whole grains.
- Prioritize lean meats like chicken or turkey.
- Reduce the intake of sauces.
- Avoid sweets, especially if they are industrial.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Exercise. It is true that this activity can be at odds with accumulated fatigue, but it is the best way to recover your figure. If you don’t have the energy to play sports, at least try to take long daily walks with the stroller. In 20 minutes of brisk walking you can lose 100 calories.
- So that you don’t get hungry after breastfeeding, you can have a yogurt or a natural juice before feeding.
EXAMPLE OF DIET TO LOSE WEIGHT WHILE BREASTFEEDING
A healthy diet if you want to lose weight while breastfeeding could be something like this:
- Breakfast : Skimmed milk, wholegrain bread or cereals, and fruit.
- Mid-morning and mid-afternoon : Skimmed yogurt or fruit.
- Food : Vegetables and salads preferably. Twice a week you can eat legumes and potatoes, while pasta and rice (better whole grains) can be eaten one day a week. As a second, opt for a grilled fish or meat. For dessert, a fruit or a skimmed yogurt.
- Dinner : soups, broths, fish, eggs, fresh cheese and fruit are ideal light foods for the night.