Vaccines against diseases that were deadly not many years ago prevent three million deaths each year, according to the WHO. Most are included in the vaccination schedule established by the Autonomous Communities. Others, on the other hand, have to be paid for. We will talk about the price of vaccines , as well as their importance, along these lines.
Although the anti-vaccine movement has spread a lot in recent years, there is no doubt that these drugs have greatly contributed to increasing life expectancy and eradicating a number of diseases. Smallpox (1979) or rinderpest (2011) are two clear examples.
Whether taken orally or by injection, vaccines are used to generate antibodies in healthy people . Thus, they protect us and our environment against certain infections or diseases . What would happen if we stopped vaccinating our children? Well, what we are already beginning to see: children dying from causes that could have been avoided and the return of diseases that we had already forgotten.
I am aware that I am biased in this regard, but as a mother I do my best to prevent my son from getting sick. And I believe that vaccines are one of the most powerful weapons we have. Especially in Spain, where most are financed by Social Security.
Although the ideal would be that the missing ones are also included at some point, as they represent a significant expense. Between one and the other, the price of the vaccines exceeds 1,000 euros . In addition, we must bear in mind that many of those that families have to pay are placed during the first weeks of the baby’s life, precisely at that time when we have the most expenses.
WHAT VACCINES ARE FINANCED AND WHAT IS THEIR COST
As for the “mandatory” vaccines, it is important to be clear at what ages they must be administered. Why do I put “mandatory” in quotes? Because in our country the law does not oblige parents to vaccinate their children (except in cases of serious risk to public health), so it is up to us to make the decision.
Vaccination schedules vary from time to time and are somewhat different depending on the Autonomous Community. But if we take as a reference the latest published by the Spanish Association of Pediatrics , children should receive the following vaccines:
- Antihepatitis B (HB): 0, 2, 4 and 11 months.
- Diphtheria, tetanus and acellular pertussis (DTPa/Tdap): 2, 4 and 11 months; 6 years; 14 years.
- Poliomyelitis (IPV): 2, 4 and 11 months; 6 years.
- Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib): 2, 4 and 11 months.
- Meningococcus C (MenC): 4 and 11 months; 12 years.
- Pneumococcus (CNV): 2, 4 and 11 months.
- Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine : 12 months; 3/4 years.
- Human papilloma virus (HPV): 12 years.
- Varicella vaccine (Var): 15 months; 3/4 years; 12 years
The price that these represent for Social Security is published. You can see the full report in the Spanish Journal of Public Health . By way of summary, if we take as an example a person born this year and whose life expectancy exceeds 80 years, the cost amounts to 726 euros for women and 631 for men . This small difference can be explained by the cost of the Human Papillomavirus vaccine given to girls at the age of 12.
The calculation has been made taking into account the cost of these drugs and that each visit costs 6 euros. By age, this is the cost of vaccinating the population: Check out our parenting site for more and great ideas for your new born.
- Prenatal: 17.85 euros
- 2 months: 72.64 euros
- 4 months: 87.09 euros
- 11 months: 72.64 euros
- 12 months: 21.55 euros
- 15 months: 19.95 euros
- 3-4 years: 27.05 euros
- 6 years: 29.95 euros
- 12 years: 90.62 euros for girls and 32.30 euros for boys
- 14 years: 4.41 euros
- 65 years: 18.91 euros
- Over 65 years: 77.40 euros
THE PRICE OF UNFUNDED VACCINES
Apart from these, the following vaccines are recommended:
- Rotavirus (2, 4 and 6 months). It costs between 69 and 93 euros, depending on the laboratory
- Meningococcus B (2, 4, 6 and 12 months). It is priced at 105 euros each dose.
- Prevent : 4 doses, priced at 75 euros each.
- Tetravalent antimeningococcal : it is given at 12 months, with a price of around 55 euros.
- Vaccine against the human papillomavirus . For the girls it is financed, but in many communities we still have to pay for the boys. The price ranges between 121 and 172 euros per dose, and two are needed for children between 9 and 14 years old and three if they have already reached that age.